Saturday, September 20, 2008

On Our Knees at Church


Well, it was back to Hiwassee College campus today for more volunteer work. Drew and I tended to a badly neglected rose garden at Buckner Memorial Chapel. We've been coming over from Sweetwater to attend services at this Methodist church and it's been driving me crazy every time I walked by this poor ole rose bed. So I finally did something about it! Drew and I spent the afternoon weeding, pruning, edging, and fertilizing these once-beautiful roses. As we were down on our knees deep in dirt, the carillon serenaded us every hour on the hour--and we were there for many hours! Buckner Chapel is so lovely perched atop a high hill, with it's cross soaring up to the sky. Just looking at it's setting brings a peaceful feeling. We probably won't be here long enough to see the full effect of our efforts in the rose garden, but that's okay.

No comments: